Thursday, April 27, 2017

My Plant Hospital


So, guess what I got??? 

A green thumb!

Somewhere along the way I have gotten good or at least better at plants; i.e. I am keeping numerous plants alive and I have even managed to bring some back from the dead.


This is my plant hospital. It sits in a corner of the foyer where loads of sunlight pours in. Last year I started moving plants in here that were struggling and with a little consistency and a new trick I have been able to revive and maintain 6 house plants!!

I am no plant pro, in fact as late as last month I was writing about my inefficiencies when it came to the subject, but I have found two things that have helped my results.

1. I water my plants on the same day every week with the same amount of water. This might sound obvious, but for years I would either water my plants too much OR I would forget to water them entirely. One day while talking to my Grandmother, who has the greenest thumb around, she told me she waters all of her plants on the same day each week. Seeing as I am naturally a creature of habit, this concept really appealed to me. I have made Fridays my "water the plants day" and I actually do it, and when it's not Friday, I leave them alone. I also use the same cup to water my plants each time, no more, no less and it has worked!

2. I pour coffee ground into the soil of my plants.


This little tip came from Brent's Grandmother, "Dandy." Upon seeing some of my dying plants she suggested mixing some coffee grounds into the soil, so I gave it a whirl and BOOM the plants were revived. I have no idea why this works, but n ow if I have a plant that looks to be struggling I sprinkle some coffee grounds around in the dirt before I water and before long the plant is looking alive and well again. Sometimes, I even pour coffee grounds on plants that are doing just fine, just to make sure they stay that way.


The plant in the above picture was hospitalized for a long time, but a few months ago he was discharged and now he is thriving. My weird ways work and I'm so thankful to the ladies in my life who were blessed with green thumbs for all of their wisdom. Now I look like I know what I'm doing too and that's half the battle right there! ;)

All photos are my own.

0 Appreciated Comments :

Post a Comment