I've been working on a fun side project with a super fun "client" - my sister, Candace! She recently accepted a new job where she will be working from home and needs to get her home office set up ASAP!
She plans to turn a room in her house into a home office that will meet all of her utilitarian needs while still being pretty, chic and happy. We figure if you're going to be spending the better part of your waking hours in a room, it makes sense to really think through the contents of said room to ensure the finished space will be enjoyable to hunker down and work, day in and day out. Obviously there are options galore for an office, so to get this party started I did what any designer would do...I made an inspiration board. These boards are a great tool to visualize and organize your thoughts.
A smorgasbord of fun, eh? Let's dig into the details...
1. We plan to keep the walls nice and neutral to create a pretty, tranquil backdrop. Our color of choice - Benjamin Moore's Calm OC-22. It's a nice creamy gray and will go with pretty much anything.
2. The room is carpeted, but we want to add some texture and interest with a rug. The plan is to keep the rug neutral in color with a fun pattern.
3. There is a big window in the room we plant to jazz up with floor to ceiling drapes. We could go a zillion different directions with the drapes - large pattern, solid pop of color, neutral color, etc.. but right now we are thinking of a color block with the primary color being a nice neutral with a pop of navy.
4. To add some pizazz to all of the neutrals we have going on, we wanted to bring in some unexpected color to liven up the space with the chair. The chair we chose is from Charish. Charish is a great website full of used furnishings and accessories for you to peruse and purchase to your heart's desire. It's like an estate sale online, meaning it's like crack for designers. So many beautiful pieces, with new items added all of the time. Everything is unique and approved for quality and authenticity by their curators. We chose the Coco Chanel Style pink velvet chair for this room because we loved the traditional lines of the chair mixed with the vivacious pink fabric. Pink is a bold choice, yes, but we figured with all of the other major items being more neutral, a pop of color was just what the doctor ordered to take this space from good to great.
5. We plan to remove the ceiling fan and replace it with a flush mount light. Ceiling fans are very "bedroom-esque", while a decorative ceiling mount light is much more chic' and will really help make this room feel more like an office. The light on the board is from Circa and is soooooooo dreamy.
6. The floor fan is not only industrial and cool but will come in handy when my sister inevitably remembers she removed the functional ceiling fan in favor of a decorative light on the hottest day of the year. She will of course recall this being my suggestion and I don't want her cursing me as she melts away, so a floor fan feels like a good idea.
7. For art Candace came across these fun motivational quotes on Etsy. We loved the gold lettering with the thin gold frame. She plans to buy a slew of them and hang them in one concentrated area for impact, maybe a cluster of 9 or 12. Some days I could use 12 different motivational quotes to keep me from slaying someone.....I kid, I kid.
8. I'm not sure it's possible for tape to look more adorable than it does when housed in a golden weenie dog. Nate Burkus has designed a collection of fun, affordable office accessories and Candace has already grabbed up a pair of golden scissors, the weenie dog tape dispenser and a golden stapler. Her desk is going to be so shiny and happy.
9. And last but not least, a fiddle leaf tree. Because no space is complete without some greenery. It's good for the soul.
Well there you have it....our brain explosion. Of course these are just ideas, but i think we have a pretty good grasp on the direction we want to take this space. The one item we are still blurry on is the desk. We just haven't been able to find anything that speaks to us. I guess I will take one for the team and search Charish for hours looking for the perfect piece. Who knows I may just happen upon some goodies for myself! :)
Check out more Vintage Accent Chairs from Charish here!
This board was created with Olioboard - to see more of my boards click here.