Brent was on the fence from the get-go, not that he didn't like the chairs, but he feared they would end up costing us an arm and a leg before it was all said and done. Well, let's just say he wasn't exactly wrong. Luckily it took us over a year to actually get to the part of the project where we picked out fabric and got the chairs upholstered. So, while the cost was the same, having it stretched out over a year helps, right? Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
As the office started coming together we began the hunt for the fabric. We made multiple trips to various fabric stores and came home with tons of samples. After much deliberation we decided on a bright and happy floral and a white vinyl.
Because of the way the chairs are constructed we had the opportunity to do two fabrics; A white vinyl for the part of the chairs that we would actually sit on and a floral for the back. We decided to go with two different fabrics for two reasons. One, we plan to really utilize this space, so we figured the vinyl was our best bet for fabric that we would sit on everyday. It's easy to care for as it can be easily wiped down if it gets dirty or spilled on. And two, because of the orientation of the room, the back of the chairs will be visible at all times, so we thought the bright, happy, floral would be cool here to infuse some additional color and interest into the room.
The floral fabric was not cheap at $35 per yard, but the vinyl, which we needed more of was only $9.95 a yard at a great local fabric store called Fabric & Fringe Warehouse. It was literally $15 dollars cheaper PER YARD at this place than an in town shop and was virtually the same thing!
I marked up this photo as a road map for the upholsterer.
Once we finally got around to selecting the fabric(s) and delivered the chairs to the upholsterer we were only about a month a way from the Junior League Tour of Kitchens. The plan was to get the chairs back right before the tour, but unfortunately the upholsterer got sick and I think the vinyl was a little more problematic than anticipated, so we didn't get them in time for the show. We were really bummed at first, but we ended up getting some fill in chairs for the tour, which worked fine.
We finally got the call that the chairs were ready and headed off to pick them up from the upholsterer yesterday. As soon as we saw them we were SO excited with the final results.
A little front and back perspective for you....
And another shot from the back....
These chairs were the last piece of our office remodel puzzle and we are SO pleased with how they turned out. This room is easily one of the happiest in our whole house. The natural lighting is SO good and these chairs were the icing on the cake for an already cheerful space. Full office reveal coming to a blog near you VERY SOON!
All photos are my own.